Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Revenge of the 29'er: The Route

 

Using RidewithGPS, I was able to discover the dirt roads to bypass the hideously developed sections of the route that had so bothered me from my previous tours.  As the horrors of Pipeline Rd. illustrate, sometimes this can backfire.  I'm glad  I did the route and proud of my effort, but that section is not one I'd like to repeat.  The rest was good--if sometimes very hard riding--and the route through the East Mojave Preserve was brilliant and highly recommended.  Below are links to the route.  The first is the whole enchilada in all its gnarly glory.  The second is a partial workaround to the section getting from Rt. 95/Lake Havasu turn-off to Pipeline Rd.  If you recall from the journal, I encountered a couple of locked gates that I was just barely able to squeeze through and, fortunately, got across without conflict.  I DO NOT recommend this to anyone thinking of enjoying the delights of my particular route.  Using satellite view on Google Earth, you can actually see the gates just past mile 5 on the second link.  No bueno.  But near mile 5, you will also see an arroyo that leads south around the property and hooks up with dirt roads.  I HAVE NOT ridden this section, so rider beware, but it looks like a viable option.  Be prepared for deep, slow sand. Study the images carefully and work it out.  Do NOT trespass.  Closer study of the area in RidewithGPS reveals some other possible options bypassing this to the south.  Do your homework.

The whole enchilada:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41164179

 The partial workaround:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41891246

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment