Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Sorting, sorting, sorting...



You would think, being an experienced cycle-tourist, that the packing phase of the journey would be less stressful, but I always find myself a bit anxious making sure I've got everything, food selected for the first stage, a drop box loaded for shipping, etc.  But I pile, fret and stare, re-pile, re-fret, and stare some more, go over lists.  How will it fit?  It always does, though sometimes not without some help from a Higher Power.

I'll be running with a one-person Sierra Designs tent, an Exped sleeping pad, and a homemade alcohol Pepsi can stove, the same I used for my cross country ride back in 2007.  She don't cook fancy, but she's light, quiet, and gets the job done.  I've picked up a couple of new pieces of gear for changing tires: Gorilla levers and a Kool Stop lever.  I NEVER want to struggle with taking off or putting on a recalcitrant tire ever again.



The Kool Stop adds a little weight, but it will be worth it if I have to pop the tire on a frozen morning in the Middle of No Where.  I'm also carrying a Topeak Multi-tool and a Leatherman.  Spare shifter and brake cable, couple of folding spare tires, four tubes, two patch kits, a few bolts, some wire and tape.  Clothing will be diverse because of WIDE temperature swings, from freezing or below to possibly low 70's in Death Valley.  I've got a 3L Camel back and will also carry a frame bottle and a 6L Dromedary bag for camp.

I'm still mulling over tech.  At the minimum, I'll have the usual smart phone, a Lumix camera, an iPod, and a Kindle for those long nights in the tent.   The questionable item is a small tablet and keyboard.  It's a bit heavy, but it would be nice for drafting. 

Now I recover from a minor cold that has dialed me back a few notches, and a major winter storm works its way through the state.  The forecast for launch is fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment