Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Into the House of the Devil




I tackled another dirt road not far from our house--Casa Diablo.  In the somewhat enhanced photo above, Casa Diablo Mtn. is in the backgound, thousands of feet above.  This was a test run, about an hour out to my turn-around point.  I haven't recalibrated  the cyclometer, so no mileage or elevation numbers.  I wanted to do 1,000 ft. of gain but left the altimeter at home--doh.  I definitely climbed less than that, probably around 300 ft. or so.  In my online mapping, I envision this as one part of a big training loop:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27769683


Heading clockwise, after an initial ramp up to about 8%, the angle backs way off.  This would an an ideal training ground but for one issue:  Sand.  Again.  On the plus side, it's definitely not as deep as I encounter on the west side of the valley, but it was a clear and present drag on the proceedings.  I need to explore a counter-clockwise version, which would allow descending of the sandy stretches.  In the estimated couple of miles of gentle climbing I encountered a big range of surfaces.


This sandy stretch was deceiving.  It appeared flat, but I was climbing gently.  Once I turned around, the going was MUCH easier.  The idea of hauling a trailer up this surface was daunting.  I still need some bigger tires for the trailer, so I'll get a chance to check it out. 



Here's a short video from the turn-around point:



So the journey continues.  I really need to find more representative road surfaces.  I think full-on sand as I keep encountering in the Bishop area is quite rare on the GDMBR.

No comments:

Post a Comment