Monday, November 14, 2011

Scenes from a commute






Today, as I do about once a week when weather permits, I embarked on the ultra-commute: 45 miles, 1200 to 1500 ft of climbing, about 4,500 ft. of descent.  I leave home about 5:30 AM and arrive at work about three hours later, give or take.  It's a great adventure and a good but not extreme workout.  Soon the cold and fog in the valley will make it unsafe, so I will lay off until early spring when the tule fog season ends, usually late Feb./early March.  Although I spend about five miles or so on the wide shoulder of a major freeway, most of the riding is like what is pictured, quiet, wonderful riding with little and often no traffic.  The top two pictures feature shots with and without flash.  I like the dark, brooding sky in the flash picture, but the one without is more accurate as to real light conditions.  Last week, for the first time in a few years, I did the ride back up, which takes about five hours--ugh, ugh!  But it's a great feeling of accomplishment to pull it off.  Only once have I done the round trip in a day, about 90 miles with 6,000 ft. of climbing, the vast majority of that in the last 20 miles.  That was completed on a cold, wet, foggy Nov. night, dark, aching.  When I finally got home, I curled into a ball on the floor for a while to recover!  Maybe one day I'll try it again but in better conditions.  What grand little adventure have you had today?

No comments:

Post a Comment